John C Maxwell is a renowned leadership expert, entrepreneur, speaker, coach and author. He founded EQUIP and the John Maxwell Company. He trained more than five million leaders in 126 countries. He has inspired numerous Fortune 500 companies, international government organizations, non-profit and educational institutions. He is enthusiastic to leadership, and likes to learn and grow in leadership, to help other grow as leaders. He tailors each presentation such that it is in sink with the specific audience.
In the words of Kevin Turner, Chief Operating Officer, Microsoft Corporation, “We have seen a positive impact on our business since we brought John in to speak to our global leadership team. His influence and teachings lifted our leaders and improved our leadership capability. We look forward to having him back.”
Maxwell is a best-selling author of New York Times, Wall Street Journal and Business Week who has sold over 19 million books. He authored over 70 books on various topics in leadership, communication, success, relationships, teamwork, attitude and personal growth. In this article, we are going to review one of his best books that help small business owners in enhancing leaderships skills and help boost their employees’ productivity.
The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership: Follow Them and People Will Follow You – John C. Maxwell
In this book, John C. Maxwell highlights 21 irrefutable laws on leadership and explains each law with a story relevant to it. Each law works like a tool and is easy to learn, practice and apply them at your workplace. At the end of each chapter, exercises are given, which help you to put them into practice.
As you read this book, you will come to know some of the laws that are already in practice and some are not. Author says, “No matter where you are in learning process of leadership: the greater number of laws you learn, the better leader you will become.”
Takeaways from the book: There are many positive things that a reader can learn from this book such as leadership develops daily, and not in a day; trust is the foundation of leadership; leaders find a way for their team to win and many more. This is one of the most recommended books for those who aspire to become leaders.
John C Maxwell has distilled the art of leadership into 21 laws. These laws not only help at your workplace but also at your personal life. Enumerated are the laws:
- The Law of the Lid: Leadership Ability Determines a Person’s Level of effectiveness.
- The Law of Influence: The True Measure of Leadership is Influence- Nothing More, Nothing Less.
- The Law of Process: Leadership Develops Daily, Not in a Day.
- The Law of Navigation: Anyone Can Steer the Ship, but It Takes a Leader to Chart the Course.
- The Law of Addition: Leaders Add Value by Serving Others.
- The Law of Solid Ground: Trust is the Foundation of Leadership.
- The Law of Respect: People Naturally Follow Leaders Stronger Than Themselves.
- The Law of Intuition: Leaders Evaluate Everything with a Leadership Bias.
- The Law of Magnetism: Who You Are Is Who You Attract.
- The Law of Connection: Leaders Touch a Heart Before They Ask for a Hand.
- The Law of the Inner Circle: A Leader’s Potential is Determined by Those Closest to Him.
- The Law of Empowerment: Only Secure Leaders Give Power to Others.
- The Law of the Picture: People Do What People See.
- The Law of the Buy-In: People Buy In to the Leader, Then the Vision.
- The Law of Victory: Leaders Find a Way for Their Team to Win.
- The Law of the Big Mo: Momentum is a Leader’s Best Friend.
- The Law of Priorities: Leaders Understand That Activity Is Not Necessarily Accomplishment.
- The Law of Sacrifice: A Leader Must Give Up to Go Up.
- The Law of Timing: When to Lead Is As Important As What to Do and Where to Go.
- The Law of Explosive Growth: To Add Growth, Lead Followers-To Multiply, Lead Leaders.
- The Law of the Legacy: A Leader’s Lasting Value Is Measured by Succession.
Prominent reviews on this book:
- “Our nation and its institutions are crying out for leaders. John Maxwell . . . shows us the true path to leadership through the application of timeless principles supported by the bedrock of personal character.” – Edward C. Emma, President & COO, Jockey International, Inc.
- “An irrefutable must-read on leadership that is a simple and powerful list of guidelines to help build leadership in many arenas.” – S. Truett Cathy, Founder and Chairman, Chick-Fil-A, Inc.
This book is available in Kindle, paperback and hardcover.