A new study revealed that using smartphones up to late nights causes negative effects on the following day’s productivity.
Researchers of the study are
- Klodiana Lanaj, an assistant professor of management at the Warrington College of Business Administration
- Chirstoopher M. Barnes, an Assistant Professor of Management at University of Washington and
- Rusell E. Johnson, an Assistant Professor of Management at Michigan State University
These researchers conducted two studies
In the first study – They examined 82 mid to senior-level managers on the level of usage of smartphone after 9 p.m., quality and quantity of sleep of last night and their level of engagement at work on the next day.
Survey participants who used their smartphones the last night replied that they felt fatigue the next morning and as a result they are less engaged at work during the day.
In the second study – They examined 161 workers (who are from various occupations) on usage of smartphones along with other electronic devices.
In the survey, they compared the usage of smartphones with other electronic devices such as television, tablet, laptops, computer has same effect or not.
Researchers shows that smartphones usage has worst effect on sleep and work engagement compared to other electronic devices.
Comments by researchers
- In the words of Russell Johnson – “The nighttime use of smartphones appears to have both psychological and physiological effects on people’s ability to sleep and on sleep’s essential recovery functions.”
- In the words of Klodiana Lanaj – “Most employees use their smartphones in bed at night, which is harmful because the “blue light” that smartphones emit interferes with the production of melatonin, a chemical that facilitates falling and staying asleep.”
Smartphone usage to check your email after work-hour brings your mind back to workplace – prevents psychological detaching and leads to stress.
- Destressing and detaching is important to the process of relaxing and falling asleep.
- Blue light is harmful to the process of building melatonin.
- A few hours before you go to bed, stay away from using the phone.